- 2 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (16 oz) jar tomato salsa
- 3 cups cooked black beans or 2 (15oz) cans of black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1.5 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
- Salt (optional) & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese or homemade cashew cheese
- Heat oil in skillet (or water if you don't want to use oil). Add the onion and saute until softened. Then add garlic, then tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cumin & paprika. Add a little extra water, if needed, to ensure the mixture doesn't burn.
- Stir in the salsa and black beans. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Spoon a thin layer of the chili mixture on the bottom of the cooker. Arrange a layer of sweet potato slices on top (overlapping slightly). Season with salt (optional) and pepper, then top with a thin layer of the chili mixture, followed by a sprinkling of the vegan cheese. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used and you end with remaining vegan cheese on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.