I got the recipe for these Oatmeal-Lemon Pancakes from the talented Cathy Fisher at Straight Up Food. Easy to make and they freeze well!
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 3 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1½ cups Old Fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest from 1 lemon)
Directions1. Place the milk and dates into a small bowl and set aside so the dates can soften (at least 15 minutes).
2. Grind the oats into flour using a blender and then pour into a large bowl, along with the cornmeal, baking powder, and cinnamon, and mix with a fork.
3. Heat a non-stick skillet to medium.
4. Blend the dates and milk in a blender on high until smooth. Pour this into the bowl of dry ingredients, along with the lemon juice and zest, and mix with a fork until all of the dry ingredients have been mixed into the wet.
5. When a water droplet sizzles on the surface, the pan is ready. Pour a ½-cup batter onto the skillet (no oil is needed) and cook until bubbles form around the edges and on top, and the underside is brown (1-2 minutes). Flip the pancake and cook for another 1-2 minutes. (As the batter sits it will thicken up, so add a bit more non-dairy milk as needed to thin.)
I served mine with a dollup of almond butter and maple syrup.